Sunday, February 11, 2007

KEEP YOUR WEDDING VOWS


No Divorce For Any Reason

Is God Pleased With Any Vows?

It is true that the Lord Jesus said in the Sermon on the Mount: “Swear not at all”.

But this was not a blanket statement that we should never in our life swear.

Are there occasions where God is pleased with our oaths?

Yes He is!

For example, when we are in the courtroom and we are asked to swear, with our hand on the Bible, that we are going to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. We make a solemn vow, before God and before the whole world that we will tell the truth.

Another example, when one man and one woman are standing before God’s minister and are making a solemn vow, before God and before the whole world, that they will cleave together “till death do us part”,
is that a vow that is pleasing to God?

· Is the marriage vow pleasing to God?

Yes it is!

Remember,,,,It was God who invented marriage in the first place, in the Garden of Eden.

Do you remember what you agreed to in your marriage vows?

Let me rake up your memory. It went somewhat like this. He said:
I, Alfred, take you Betty to be my wedded wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love, honor and to maintain, till death do us part, according to God’s holy ordinance; and thereto I pledge myself truly with all my heart.


Then She said:
I, Betty, take you Alfred to be my wedded husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love, honor and to obey, till death do us part, according to God’s holy ordinance; and thereto I pledge myself truly with all my heart.


This is a solemn pledge, but it is entirely according to God’s holy ordinance. God says:

Ecclesiastes 5:4

¶ When thou vowest a vow unto God, defer not to pay it; for he hath no pleasure in fools: pay that which thou hast vowed.
Ecclesiastes 5:5

Better is it that thou shouldest not vow, than that thou shouldest vow and not pay.

We
have vowed “till death do us part”. Therefore, there cannot be any divorce in the future.
There better not be any divorce after 47 years.
But we cannot claim any credit for this. It is entirely by the grace of God that we did stay together, as God has commanded us. The fear of God did not enter into our life until I personally was at least 40 years old.
The clearest passage to show that husband and wife are united for life is in Ephesians.


Ephesians 5:22
Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
Ephesians 5:23

For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
Ephesians 5:24

Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.
Ephesians 5:25

Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
Ephesians 5:26

That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
Ephesians 5:27

That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
Ephesians 5:28

So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
Ephesians 5:29

For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
Ephesians 5:30

For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones. (UNITED)
Ephesians 5:31

For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
Ephesians 5:32

This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.
Ephesians 5:33

Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.

In this beautiful passage, God compares the marriage relationship with that of Christ and the Church. Husband and wife must be as inseparable as Christ and the Church are.


Which Church is God speaking about?

Not the External Church. Look at the seven Churches of Asia Minor, in Revelation 2 and 3. They are all gone. No! God is speaking about Christ and the Eternal Church, the body of Believers throughout time. God specifies this Church in verse 27:

Ephesians 5:27
That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

If we have been saved, we belong to that Eternal Church, which is the Bride of Christ.

Could it be possible that God would allow for divorce between a husband and wife, if one of the two has insulted the other party by committing adultery?

Well,,,,Look at the comparison that God is drawing for us here: The relationship between husband and wife, God says, is parallel to the relationship between Christ and the Church.

Have I ever insulted Christ?

Of course, you know the answer. Every time I sin, I have insulted Christ. Every time I sin, I have committed spiritual adultery.

· Could Christ ever divorce me for not being perfectly faithful to Him?

· Could He cast into Hell anyone for whom He had suffered on the cross the agony of Hell?

· Could He cast into Hell anyone for whom He has paid all their sins?

· And if all my sins have been paid for, what sin is there that could still condemn me to Hell?


None! Of course it is not possible that Christ would ever divorce the Bride whom He bought on the cross. The union we have with Christ cannot be broken.
In the same way the union between husband and wife cannot be broken.
This, however is not a license to sin. God also says:


Hebrews 13:4

Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.

If my lifestyle indicates that I have never been saved, then God will judge me for those sins on the Last Day. If I have not been saved, then God says:


Matthew 12:36
But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

Matthew 12:37
For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

By Alfred Chompff

1 comment:

dwredbaker@bellsouth.net said...

Dear Believer,

I send my warm greetings. I am a believer in the holy scriptures and have been for thirty three years. I also love Pink's book by "baker's house".

I also love Tony Warren's work on Matt. 24; 2Thess. 2; Rev. 7; 11; 20; and his work on Creation time line. and other works by him.

I am just starting to read some of your work. May I ask were you are from?

I am also married to the same woman for forty years. May the Lord be praised.

I have some works on Matt. 24 and other section concering end time and other topics. John 3:3 and 1peter 1:23-25, etc.

Been teaching the scriptures for thirty plus years.

I am thankful for finding your blog, I now have it saved as a favorite.

Brother Red Baker