Saturday, June 27, 2009

FORWARD AND BACKWARD


Job said, “Behold, I go forward, but He is not there; I go backward, but I cannot perceive Him.” (Job 23:8)

"I GO FORWARD." Frequently believers are overtaken with this fault; and in saying this, I speak for myself. We come to the conclusion that because God has given to us a sweet revelation of Himself and His word, therefore He is bound to reveal Himself, empower us, and crown our efforts with success at our will and our planning and our decisions!

Is He?

The scriptures teach that He has bound Himself by oath to perform His promise and purpose in HIS OWN WAY and at HIS OWN TIME!

Oh, to learn to be still and WAIT on the Lord!

"I GO BACKWARD." Many times I retrace my steps to places of covenant favor enjoyed in the days that are past. Many times I dwell upon certain persons and places in pleasing remembrance. TO THESE I WOULD RETURN, but the places are changed and the people are gone and the pleasures are no more. I think of many a choice, green oasis in the wilderness to which I would return; but I find there is no oasis there TODAY. These were good and blessed IN HIS TIME and IN THE FULFILLMENT OF HIS PURPOSE! The strength given me today is for today, and I shall need renewed strength for tomorrow. "As thy days, so shall thy strength be" (Deuteronomy 33:25). But I have to be still kept learning that- "Day by day the manna fell; Oh, to learn that lesson well."

By Thomas Bradbury

No comments: